Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Breast cancer awareness

Cancer not only affects those who have it but those around them. October is breast cancer awareness month. Let's support them in our prayers as well all those affected by this disease.

The other day when I was having a "bad bone" day I call them. My  bone cancer was getting the best of me I was having a hard time grocery shopping. The gallon of milk I wanted to buy weighed more than what the label said it did. After asking for help from a man who was standing in line to lift it up on the counter for me I gave him a tip afterwards. The tip was, "Don't get cancer it sucks."

He smiled at me and told me he had no intention of getting it. I told him that was a good idea. After leaving the store I got to smiling at the fact that the young man probably would have preferred a dollar or two dollar tip instead of the one I gave him. However, what I had to say was a good tip. The thing about it is the fact that not too many people "Intend" to get cancer. I know it wasn't on my agenda. I'm sure its not on the agenda even of a person who smokes to get lung cancer.

The thing about it is, it comes and we need to be aware of it. We need to be strong enough to withstand the pressure, emotions, burdens, and hardship it creates. God's strength is what helps me to face it day to day. It is because of His love for me that I'm able to hang on. Having a support group around me that could fill a football stadium helps as well. I'm so thankful I'm not alone. It's important that we get that message out to anyone affected by this disease whether its breast, prostate, lung, brain, or whatever kind of cancer. With God and the help of each other we can survive emotionally and spiritually. Whether our bodies survive as long as we would like them to is a totally different thing.

I love the story in the Bible about Moses and the battle the Israelites had to fight in Exodus 17:11,12 And so it was, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed; and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses' hands became heavy; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. And Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun." The end result was they won the fight.

We need to do that with those affected by cancer, the one with it as well as those who are caring for that person. We need to prop up their hands when they grow weary until the battle is won. The one tiny detail about Moses' victory was what he held in his hand. In his hand was the rod of God. In our hands and hearts needs to be the word of God, His written promises to hold on to, His guidance to direct us, and His love to comfort us.

In love W.I.T.H. Jesus,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, thanks for dropping in for a visit.